You’ve always wanted to have straight teeth, but due to your circumstances, were not able to get them at an early age. Is it too late for you to seek orthodontic treatment, now that you’re an adult? Not anymore! Braces and many other forms of orthodontic treatment are available for different age groups, including adults. The alignment of the teeth can be done at any age, as long as the patient has excellent gum health and is able to visit the dentist regularly for braces adjustments. In fact, there are rewards to getting orthodontic treatment as an adult. Here are the advantages of receiving orthodontic treatment when you’re between the ages of 18 and 55.
• Adults are more likely to follow a dentist’s advice than children and teenagers; thus, optimizing the results of the treatment. For instance, the dentist may advise a young orthodontic patient to stay away from sweets and soda. Children may have a hard time avoiding these types of food because of peer pressure and many other factors. Adults, on the other hand, are mature individuals who are conscious of the effects of sweets, as well as the costs of not following a dentist’s advice.
• As an adult, getting braces is a choice. Thus, they cooperate with the entire treatment process and are able to follow through with the scheduled visits for adjustment of the braces.
• Adults are more responsible about caring for retainers than children and teenagers. Retainers serve to retain your straight teeth after wearing the braces; hence, are an important part of maintaining your straight smile. Young patients have the tendency to lose their retainers or not wear them regularly, resulting in eventual misalignment of the teeth. Adults, on the other hand, are aware of the repercussions of not wearing the retainers, as well as the cost one needs to pay for replacement, when a retainer gets lost.
• Adults are able to appreciate the perks of having straight teeth more than kids and teenagers. They make an extra effort to care for their teeth and gums.
• An adult is able to maximize his true potential and improve his social interactions with people, as a result of having straight teeth.
• Braces for adults increase the health of the teeth and gums. Misaligned teeth increase the chance of tooth decay, tooth loss, and gum disease because of the abnormal wearing of the tooth enamel and gum surfaces.
Orthodontic Treatment for a Beautiful Smile Transformation
According to the American Academy of Orthodontics, about 1 million Americans aged 18 years old and above, are taking orthodontic treatment. Village Family Dental alone has a large percentage of adult orthodontic patients, so it’s never too late to seek orthodontic treatment to improve your smile. A beautiful smile transformation awaits, as well as an enhanced self confidence and self esteem.